Popular Posts

Come and join the celebration!


Saltaire put a bit of bunting out to celebrate the wedding of HRH Prince William and Catherine Middleton on Friday.  It was all rather low-key locally ... a lot of us Brits are fairly reserved about that kind of thing and, as far as I know, there were no street parties in the immediate area.  I sense that there has been as much excitement in Australia, Canada and even in the States.  I know of some American ladies who travelled to London, not to attend the wedding on the processional route but to watch it on our TV channels!  I love a big occasion though, and watched the whole thing on BBC TV with some friends - pink lemonade and all. (Pre-lunch seemed a bit too early for champagne!)  I thought it was all really brilliant.  I enjoy the ceremonial: the guards and the horses, the bands and the carriages, all the colour and ceremony.  I like the sense of history unfolding and the layers of symbolism, the links with the past but also in this wedding a real sense of optimism for the future. William and Kate both looked stunning and the marriage service in Westminster Abbey was beautiful. (I was particularly moved by Kate's brother James's masterly reading from St Paul's Letter to the Romans.)  They seem a lovely young couple and I do sincerely hope theirs will be a long and deeply happy marriage.  May God bless them both.

Pictures from BBC TV

PS: Possibly the cutest and most amusing of the photos I've seen of the wedding is this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment