Popular Posts

I Like Prince Charles

How many times have you heard someone say that?

Over the years my attitude towards him has mellowed somewhat. Despite the fact that I don't have a clue what he really does. I don't listen to his speeches. I only occasionally visit his website; if only to find out what's officially going on with Prince William and Prince Harry. I've also searched for Kate Middleton, to no avail. I did a Royal Report episode about him, using his site to research him so I could sound somewhat knowledgeable. Yes, it looks like he does a lot. He seems to care. And once he becomes king; if ever, I will feel sorry for him. He will lose the freedom that he has at present. The freedom to bravely wade into the foray and make a difference. Once he is monarch, he can only quietly make recommendations via carefully written memorandums to avoid public controversy. It's sad if you think about it.

What do I like about him? He exudes kindness. True, he will always have that remote royal quality, but in comparison to his mother, The Queen, he appears warm. Something, which in his particular position, means something. It's necessary. In fact, it has an impact that pales in comparison to other members of the royal family. Sure Prince Edward and Sophie can be pleasant. Princess Anne is dedicated to her causes. Prince Andrew does, whatever he does with a smile and a wave. The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester do what they do, working below the radar. Were it not for Majesty magazine, I wouldn't know they even exist.

After reading the following article on the World of Royalty website, to my surprise, I found myself logging in to Blogger and writing this article in intermittent spurts for the next two months. Leaping to his defense, begrudgingly admitting that he may have been ahead of his time, is not the thing to do. People may think that you're catering to him by doing so. Since my opinion means absolutely nothing, I don't have to worry about that.

Certainly I've taken my fair shots at him on this blog - but only in humour. He's the funniest member of the royal family. Which makes him all the more endearing to me. I don't know what I would do without him. Marrying Camilla was the smartest move he could have made - he looks like he's happy. After all these years, after all he's been though, he deserves it. Yet, if there's any doubt, he's paid a price for his happiness. He's made mistakes but life goes on.

Maybe his birthright has entrapped him. Maybe he never wanted it at all. We'll never truly know. You can wonder all you like. Pity him all you want. While he's Prince of Wales he's in a position to make a difference. Maybe an eternity of waiting isn't such a bad thing after all.

© Marilyn Braun 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment